Mindful Yoga Therapy programs are clinically tested and empirically informed. Mindful Yoga Therapy (MYT) is the product of Suzanne Manafort, a yoga teacher with decades of experience, looking for a way to give back to society. She volunteered to work with veterans at her local Veterans Administration Hospital.
Working as part of the Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Residential Rehabilitation Program (PRRP) with veterans experiencing the most extreme symptoms for a few years, Suzanne recognized the benefits of her efforts and the need for more teachers.
She started with programs to train experienced teachers to help teach veterans and others who have faced severe trauma. With the help of Robin Gilmartin, an experienced psychoanalyst at the West Haven VA and the faculty and staff of the MYT Team, Suzanne developed Breathe In, Breathe Out, a meditation practice to help veterans while at the VA or at home. Suzanne and Robin also developed the MYT Practice Guide which has been distributed free to over 18,000 veterans.
Please feel free to download our white paper for more details, and contact us if you have questions.
Sharing Mindful Yoga Therapy
We share Mindful Yoga Therapy by:
- developing personalized programs for the individual needs of the veteran
- offering discounts and scholarships to veterans and their families for classes and programs in affiliate studios
- offering partial scholarships to our Yoga Teacher Training Programs
- teaching Mindful Yoga Therapy in therapeutic treatment settings
- teaching Mindful Yoga Therapy at Veterans Centers at Universities
- providing Mindful Yoga Therapy tools for use by yoga teachers and students
- training yoga teachers and yoga therapists to use this program and to bring it into treatment centers
Mindful Yoga Therapy has had a lasting positive impact on many veterans who have worked with us. Read some of their stories.
Yoga is Peace at Studio Bamboo Yoga in Virginia Beach, VA
Some statistics on veterans and thoughts on how Mindful Yoga Therapy can help, from Mindful Yoga Therapy Director of Programs Development Ann Richardson Stevens, director of Studio Bamboo Yoga in Virginia Beach.
Meet some of the veterans in a class conducted by Ann.
Mindful Yoga Therapy is not just for veterans. Yoga teachers working with people living with or managing any of the following are also welcome to attend our programs.
- Eating disorders
- Stress & anxiety disorders
- Drug & alcohol addiction
- Domestic violence
- Other victims of trauma
- Diseases of the central nervous system
The Mindful Yoga Team
Our team is comprised of dedicated individuals with expertise in a variety of areas, from yoga to the military to corporate management.
Together we work to bring yoga to our local community, and Mindful Yoga Therapy to as many teachers and veterans as possible.
Learn more and meet the team.